Monday, July 7, 2008

Come Ova, I'm Makin' Dinnuh


As a partial Italian, I grew up with a grand amount of importance placed on something called, "Sunday Dinner." The picture above, is an old photograph of my family engaging in this loving tradition. We were Asian at one time...

Anyway, for a while I used to get annoyed by this Sunday ritual, particularly when I was a teenager, and hated everything having to do with family. Hey, it's just what every teen goes through. I wanted to go to the mall to hang out!... because that's literally all you do as a high schooler. At least that's all you CAN do as a high schooler, at least in my little town.

Well, once I flew the coop, I began to long for those dinners. I missed being surrounded by people that loved me, and each other-(ish). I missed the comforting home cooked meals, that were always enormous, no matter how few people actually attended. So, I started to make Sunday dinners for my friends. Granted, they weren't ALWAYS on Sundays, but still. Last night I had an impromptu Sunday dinner. I just shot out a text, and people arrived. Kelly came with her "wife" Deirdre, and it was Deirdre's first time! She's a vegetarian, so that would be why I rarely get to invite her, but since I had black bean rice and salad caprese, she had PLENTY to mangia. After dinner we watched an episode of... Anorexia Intervention... or something, on A&E. It was nice and depressing. Thank you Nick Wilson. PAY YOUR RENT!

I love doing that for my friends, because since I've moved, my friends have become my family, I think I've said that before. They are the people that I love and trust, and I love surrounding myself with them, showing them my love, with food and drink. My only hope is that this little tradition can continue after I move out to Everett. I'm sure that since I cook so damn well, they just won't stay away! Oh, and I like to think I keep 'em comin' with my charmin' personality.

No comments: