Sunday, July 20, 2008

Boston, Reign O'er Me

It is raining SO HARD! I'm sitting in my kitchen observing the sky that falls over Old North Church, and then in the distance, downtown Boston. I adore thunderstorms. Lately we've had a lot of little squalls and they've just been wimpy. Today we're getting a good one though. I just counted 6 big streaks of lightning, and the thunder sounds as if someone is bombing the city. I particularly enjoy Sunday thunderstorms, because I generally don't have anything to do on Sunday, so I love to just sit in my apartment during the storm, and read, or blog, or talk to people who are also experiencing the storm, and I like to go, "OH man, did you hear that?! or did you SEE that ?! IT'S REALLY COMING DOWN"

Thunderstorms remind me of my childhood summers. Before my mom built the sun room on the deck, we used to have this unstable screen house, and my favorite thing about it was sitting in it during a big thunderstorm with my parents and brother. You basically were outside in the middle of the storm, but had a canvas roof above your head. The roof used to collect water, so we would take a broom and push the water off, that was my favorite job. Anyway, we would sit out there, eat blueberry buckle, drink tea, play Parchesi. and count the seconds between the lightning and the thunder. I miss home, and my childhood.

I think severe weather in cities is an odd concept, for some reason. I just always associate thunderstorms, and snow storms with my little town. The suburbs. Cities are just supposed to have the same weather... right?... Am I nuts?!

The storm's over, for now. And so is this post.

On the dry and dusty road
The nights we spent apart alone
I need to get back home
To cool cool rain

I can't sleep and I lay and I think
The night is hot and black as ink
Woo Oh God I need a drink
Of cool cool rain

No comments: