Sunday, October 4, 2009

An Open Letter To All Residents of Boston/Cambridge (and suburbs)


Dear Jerks,

You are NOT better than anyone!...

After spending my birthday in the New York City, I have come to this conclusion... Bostonians are cold and pretentious (a term formerly attached to my fiance Evan). The unfortunate thing is, NYC receives the connotation of being cold and pretentious, but really, it's not, Boston is! Now of course, I am making this judgment based on the wildly different experience I have in NYC gay bars versus Boston gay bars, however, just walking down the street in the West Village you can see a whole other climate of polite and pleasant. People make eye contact with you walk in NYC, it's occasional, but it happens!... and a smile is often attached!... Ok so maybe there were a few people that looked a little cold...

But still, NEVER HAPPENS IN BOSTON. Why do we think we're so F'ing great??? Are we afraid of rejection because the sun neglects to warm our bodies and faces for so many months of the year, so we never look at each other? No, that cannot be it, because I refer to you the greatest city in America, Chicago. Chicago becomes colder than NYC and Boston combined in the winter, and their citizens are some of the loveliest people I have ever encountered... EVEN MID JANUARY.

I have been to many cities both around the world, and I have to say, Boston is the only city where I feel the asshole-vibe. I am not saying I do not enjoy this city and it's even "hipper" sister-city, Cambridge, but I honestly cannot stand the way we carry ourselves, with propriety and a sense of entitlement. I can also say this about our people because I have spent 100% of my time here working customer service or retail, so I am constantly facing the public, and let me tell you, the bad outweigh the good.

So remember this, the next time you feel the need to not hold a door open for someone, there is someone better than you other there! There is someone that dresses better, has read more books, seen more movies, eaten in more restaurants, written more poetry, created more art, taken more pictures, made more people laugh, read more newspapers, watched more sports, PLAYED more sports, ETC.

Next time you're walking down the street, make eye contact and even throw them a smile, you'll probs make their day.

Sincerely,
Me

2 comments:

J. Clarence said...

I have heard a lot of people say similar things about Boston, many of which have been New Yorkers who strangely are the ones that as you say have the bad reputation.

As far as the gay bar scene goes I think a lot of that is due to the fact that there are many of them in the NYC and unlike Boston are not the primary places to go if you are gay.

I can't say I have the same foul taste in my mouth of Bean Town. It's always been nice to me, but I'm clearly not seeing something other people are. I don't know if that's good or bad.

Are you going to move here to NYC or Chicago?

Nick said...

I have not given it any real thought, although when I imagine moving, I imagine moving to Chicago first, mainly because of the wider scope of improv... but I f'ing love NYC

Maybe you can help me weigh pros and cons!