Monday, August 11, 2008

Live From Studio 73

So last Thursday I hosted a late night style talk show! I loved every F'ing minute of it, mainly because that is my dream job. I want to be Conan. I want the height, the hair, and the flat face. The show was the final production in a 6 week TV production course. During a pre-production meeting we were assigning roles, and when our producer asked who would host, no one volunteered, and I didn't volunteer because I didn't want to be "that guy"... whoever that guy is... um but I WANTED TO HOST SO BAD, so luckily Gustave volunteered me. Of course as the host that didn't mean that I didn't do anything for the production itself. I had to write the show, help design lighting, I had to shoot outside footage for roll-ins, and I had to recruit some extra talent (Wilheim).

I don't mean to be an ass, but I really really like the way I look behind that desk, and I can't explain to you how much fun I had. Every night I watch Late Night with Conan, and in my head I hear, IT'S LATE NIGHT WITH NICK MANDELLA! ...oh dreams...

Wilheim came in as our announcer/field reporter where he talked to random people on the streets of the North End... sound familiar?...including an old woman selling hot dogs smoking an 8 inch cigarette, a young man with bad teeth from Malaysia, and some pubescent hooligans that knew where to buy coke in high school. So that was fun! I felt sort of like a jerk, because the first couple people he talked to were boring and not very funny. So I went up to him and was like, um, so can you be funny? Remember? You used to do this all the time and you were um... funny! He warmed up, and brought the humor, I wasn't worried.

The show turned out to be about 30 minutes long, and that includes the commercials we shot in the class, which bt-dubs, I was in 75% of them, so this was really the Nick Show.... and I'm fine with that. All in all, I think the shoot went very smoothly, aside from some initial technical difficulties. I hope to post the video of the show soon, if I ever get my hands on it, or if it ends up online. Also, I have a fun idea for a podcast, and will hopefully get that up in the next week. That's right... soon you'll see a live blog from yours truly!

2 comments:

Derrick said...

I would totes watch the Nick Show. In fact, your late show should be called...

(prepare for a bad joke)

Nick at Night! Da da da da da da!!!!!

I am so friggin clever if I am not stopped soon I will friggin' explode.

Patty Barrett said...

You left a "Jeremy" in there...