Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Ain't Gonna Get Grey Over It


So this is Stella. Stella is my step-father's mother, and she came to live with us 7 or 8 years ago. Stella is 85 years old. I have seen pictures of her when she was younger, and amazingly, she has always looked old. I think she may have been born old, and that's why she's managed to live so long. Anyway, I'm back home, and it was just Stella and I in the house today, so we went out into the sunroom and chatted. She can't remember much, but what she can remember she tells you at least 5 times in a row. She told me about how she welded ships in the Boston shipyard during the World War... the second one, and how she and her younger sister Georgia are the only 2 surviving siblings from her family, and how she, Stella, is the oldest and Georgia is the youngest. I heard these tales about 5 times. It was as if her mind was set to repeat, or maybe she felt that if she didn't hear herself tell these stories about her life, maybe they'd be erased from her memory. Now, 4 years ago, when I was still living here, this would've driven me insane, but now, I just sat and listened to her recall the past. It was nice actually. I mean, eventually I cut her off, and went to do laundry, but she still has things to talk about, even if they may be the same 5 stories over and over and over and over... and over. She drives my mother up a wall. Don't ever move in with your in-laws. AAAHHAHAHAHA, she just knocked on my door to tell me she's going for a walk. That's another thing! She walks when it's nice out, and she frigon moves, like she practically jogs.

It's also nice being home because I get to see my grandparents. I grew up living next door to them, so they were a huge part of my childhood, and lately I find myself talking about them a lot. We call them Nana and Papa... my whole family. So if Patty and I move to Central Square with all the youngins, we're gonna be, Nana and Papa. If that happens, I want a recliner. And I want Patty to make dinner for me each night. And like my grandparents, we won't have sex.

One bad thing about being home...pollen! My nostrils are engorged with something, and I can't breathe. Whatever, I'm going to Italy on Saturday! ! !

so-yeah...

1 comment:

Patty Barrett said...

Well, not with each other.