Tuesday, February 19, 2008

So IT Begins

I used to keep a journal, but upon making an attempt at reading my old thoughts, I had difficulty figuring out my hand writing.  So, I'll type a journal, and publish it online for anyone to read.  

My name's Nick.  That's me on the left.                     

... I'm older now 

The title of my blog describes me... ish.  I am, below the average male height.  No, I am not a "little person", which in my opinion is a more degrading term than "midget", I am just a little vertically challenged.  I'm 5'3".  What I lack in feet, I make up for in inches... HAH!... am I right?!... anyway.

I believe that the first thing people notice about me is my small stature.  The next trait noticed, hopefully, is my sense of humor.  I believe that my sense of humor was God's way of saying, "Hey, listen, sorry you won't ever meet eyes with someone from across a crowded room, maybe you can charm people by making a clever poop joke." Thanks big guy.

So I improvise!  I've brought my humor to a stage in the last 2 years as a member of Seriously Bent, an improvisational theatre troupe.  Yes, I have been recognized on the train.  Do you know what an uncontrollable grin feels like?  Well, that's what happens when you're recognized, uncontrollable satisfaction.  Anyway, I have never felt more comfortable and connected to a group of people than when I became a member of SB.  We have an unspoken bond, and although I've only known these people for a year or 2, it's as if I've known them my entire life.  In FACT, I told them I liked boys and not girls before my friends from home... friends that I learned how to read with.  I love my friends from home, but it's just easier to start a new chapter in life with new people.  I digress... SB, under the direction of Improv Asylum, creates theatre immediately.  What?  We create scenes based on a single suggestion from an audience, and innately they garner laughter... is garner the right word?  It's my blog, so yes.  We have performed in comedy festivals (local and national), competitions (victorious and not so much), and in bars with Chinese lanterns.  

We're great, come see us sometime 

I use humor for more than entertainment, however.  Humor has become my medium for genuine connections with people.  I find that what makes people laugh, not fake laugh, to be incredibly insightful.  Do I have to really work to be clever and witty just to get a grin?  or can I just say an ordinary sentence with a goofy expression and an odd voice to get a 5 minute barrel of laughter?  both can be brilliant and rewarding.  Even in the darkest and disparaging of times, I can pull a smile through a sob.  Am I bragging?  You bet.  I'm very proud and honored to have this ability, because I consciously use it to help people feel better, to forget about the sometimes harsh realities. 



so-yeah...

No comments: